You can collect all kinds of data about visitor traffic and behaviour when you add a Google Analytics tracking code to your website. To really understand the information created, you need to be comfortable with the terminology. Below, some of the basic key phrases to be familiar with:
- Benchmarking: Lets you compare your site’s data – including page views and average time on the site against data from similar sized sites.
- Bounce Rate: A stat indicating the percentage of visits where only one of your website’s pages was viewed. Visits start and end on the same page. A high bounce rate would indicate visitors weren’t finding the information they were looking for.
- Conversion: When a desired goal or action is completed by the site’s visitor. Things like signing up for a newsletter, filling in a contact form or purchasing a product, are goals. Within Google Analytics, you can set and customize a page’s goal.
- Keywords: You’re probably familiar with this term; it is used a lot when talking about SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Google Analytics gives you a list of the words actually used by searchers to find your website. This is valuable in not only in knowing if your targeted keywords work, but in providing you potential new keywords which you can then utilize.
- Organic Traffic: Visitors who found your site via a search engine or unpaid source.
- Time on Site: Simply, the length of time someone spends viewing your site. The more engaging and informative your site, the longer visitors will spend on it.
- Top Exit Pages: The last page accessed on your site. It is important to understand the type of page viewers are leaving the site from. Is it a purchase verification page or the product information page?
- Top Landing Pages: Perhaps one of the most important terms to understand it is exactly what it sounds like – the page where visitors first arrive (land) on your site.
Sudymo Web Services offers web analytics and tracking as well as website analysis and reporting services, designed to suite your needs. Contact us today to get started.